The threat of major strike action in Las Vegas is dwindling thanks to tentative deals struck between the Culinary Workers Union and Bartenders Union with Caesar’s Entertainment and MGM Resorts International. Caesar’s came to an agreement on Friday of last week, while MGM reached an accord with the unions on Sunday.
The Caesar’s deal will involve a new five-year contract that affects 12,000 of the company’s employees in Las Vegas. It includes groundbreaking language on worker security regarding sexual harassment, workload, technology, and immigration.
The new five-year contract covers the following Las Vegas Caesars Entertainment Corporation casino resorts: Bally’s, Flamingo, Harrah’s, Paris, Planet Hollywood, Cromwell, The LINQ, Caesars Palace (including Nobu), and the Rio.
“This innovative contract sets clear goals regarding technology and automation for worker retention, job training, advance notice of implementation, and severance package,” said Geoconda Argüello-Kline, secretary-treasurer for the Culinary Union. “The Culinary Union has fought hard to protect workers over our 83 years and this new agreement is the best contract with the highest wage increases that workers have ever had.”
“We are pleased that all economic and personal security issues have been resolved with this new contract and that employees will continue to provide guests superior service and experiences,” said Tom Jenkin, global president and lead negotiator for Caesars Entertainment Corporation. “This historic agreement ensures that our union team members will continue to be a crucial part of the Las Vegas Dream.”
The MGM deal covers 24,000 employees, just under half of the casino operator’s workforce, who will also be given a five year contract. Negotiations with 15 smaller casino operators in Las Vegas are continuing, but it’s anticipated that with the two big names acceding to the unions’ demands, they will follow suit.